Cross River, Town of Lewisboro, New York
Lewisboro is a town located in Westchester County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 12,324. The town is named after John Lewis.
The Town of Lewisboro is in the northeastern part of the county.
After purchasing land from the local natives, the first settlers established themselves around South Salem. The town was formed in 1747 as the "Town of Salem." By 1790 the town assumed it current dimensions as lands were removed for other towns. The name also changed to South Salem in 1806. John Lewis, a financier, requested that the town be given his name and established a fund for the town.
The east town line is the border of Connecticut. Interstate 684 passes up the west side of the town.
Communities and locations in Lewisboro
- Boutonville -- A hamlet.
- Cross River -- A hamlet.
- Goldens Bridge -- A hamlet in the western part of the town.
- Lake Katonah -- A hamlet.
- Lewisboro -- The hamlet of Lewisboro on Route 123.
- South Salem -- A hamlet.
- Twin Lakes Village -- A hamlet at the north town line.
- Vista -- A hamlet.
- Waccabuc -- A hamlet.
Trailside Nature Museum
The Trailside Nature Museum, established in 1937, is one of the oldest of its kind in the United States. The museum is home to a large collection of mounted animals, American Indian artifacts, educational exhibits, child-friendly interactive displays, and nature-oriented artwork. The museum hosts thousands of school children and scouts each year for a variety of educational programs including stream study, American Indian culture, maple sugaring, and badge work. Family-oriented nature programs are scheduled for the general public on nearly every weekend.
The Trailside Nature Museum is also the home of the Delaware Indian Research Center, a vast collection of books and artifacts concerning American Indians, especially the Delaware. The Research Center is well utilized by both students and educators and has assisted several authors in researching their publications. The Research Center is open to the public by appointment.
The museum is located at the heart of Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, the county�s largest park. Park terrain is extremely varied, ranging from deep hollows to ridges that rise up more than 800 feet. There are hemlock gorges, dry uplands, wetlands, ponds, and two rivers, all connected by 35 miles of trails. Many of the old farm roads are now used as hiking and cross-country ski trails, and other signs of the old farms exist in the form of stonewalls, foundations and cellar pits.