Town of Eastchester, New York
The Town of Eastchester is in the southern part of Westchester County, New York. The town includes the villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe.
Communities and locations in Eastchester
Bronxville -- The Village of Bronxville.
Local History - Interesting Facts, Famous Names & Places
- Bronxville Heights
- Cedar Knolls
- Tuckahoe - The Village of Tuckahoe.
The Town of Eastchester began settlement in 1664 when ten families migrated from Fairfield, Connecticut. Thomas Pell, who at that time also owned the territories known now as New Rochelle and Pelham granted a deed to the group to "settle down at Hutchinsons," where the home of Anne Hutchinson had stood some twenty years before. The ten original families were shortly joined by another twenty-six.
Laws for the region were established the following year, in 1665, under an agreement called the "Eastchester Covenant." The covenant was a rare document for this period. It contained twenty-six provisions such as: education of children, disposition and upkeep of property, support of a minister, etc.
Eastchester's rural makeup began to change with the coming of the railroad in the 1840's. Three hundred-seventy acres of land were incorporated at the village of Mt. Vernon in 1853 by a group of New York businessmen; the village of Bronxville was incorporated in 1898; and the village of Tuckahoe in 1903. Today, Eastchester is bound by Scarsdale on the north, New Rochelle on the east, Yonkers on the west, and Mt. Vernon on the south, the town covers approximately five square miles, including Bronxville and Tuckahoe.