Pound Ridge, New York
Originally home to the Siwanoy and Kitchawong Indians (Mohican tribes, a subgroup of the Algonquians), the town takes its name from a tribal "pound" or enclosure for game that was on one of the area's many "ridges". The Indians led a relatively peaceful life of planting, hunting, and fishing.
Pound Ridge was originally settled in 1640's as part of a tract of land purchased from local Indians by Captain Nathanial Turner, and it was officially incorporated in 1788. For the last 250 years there has been much controversy over the spelling of "Pound Ridge" or "Poundridge", but finally in 1948 the Town Board declared the name to be the two-worded version.
By 1920, the population dwindled to 515. Then, during the 1930's things changed. Hiram Halle, an inventor and businessman, came to Pound Ridge from New York City and began renovating and reconstructing houses.
He hoped to enhance the community, and it did attract actors, writers, artists, and musicians. They discovered that Pound Ridge was a charming and convenient getaway and began purchasing homes. Benny Goodman was one of the first of these residents, and he even composed a melody entitled "Pound Ridge". Many creative people and celebrities continue to move to Pound Ridge (sometimes referred to as the 2nd Hollywood).
By the 1940's, Pound Ridge's population rose to almost 800, and it continued to grow slowly and steadily to 4,000 in 1980 and 4,550 in 1990.
The current population of the residents of the Town of Pound Ridge, NY includes 4,918 people (2004 US Census) living mostly in single-family dwellings on 2 or 3-acre minimum zoning districts.
And last but not least is the official Town of Pound Ridge Cemetery originally known as "Burial Hill".
Communities and Locations in Pound Ridge
- East Woods -- A hamlet in the east part of the town.
- Horseshoe Hill -- A hamlet northwest of Scotts Corners.
- Pound Ridge -- The hamlet of Pound Ridge in the center of the town.
- Sarles Corners -- A hamlet west of Scotts Corners.
- Scotts Corners -- A hamlet in the south part of the town.
In the famous Top 40 radio parody "Nine", this hamlet is used as the city of licence for an AM radio station trying out the ultimate saleable radio format.