Shrub Oak, New York
The first settler in Shrub Oak was Joshua ("Jocky") Hyatt, who leased a farm in 1686 from the Van Cortlandt family, making this the oldest spot in Yorktown continuously inhabited by the white man. It was after Joshua that Shrub Oak was first named "Hyatt's Plains". The settlers drifted in rather slowly thereafter.
It was in the latter half of the eighteenth century that the hamlet acquired the name "Shrub Oak Plains", this coming about due to the presence of Shrub Oak trees which formerly thrived in the local sandy soil.
In 1829, Shrub Oak acquired its post office, the word "Plains" having by this time been dropped from its name. The first postmaster was John Hyatt, a descendant of "Jocky", who kept a store located behind the present Century 21 Real Estate office on Main Street. Today's post office at Shrub Oak is the oldest existing in Yorktown Township.
Today the old village of Shrub Oak itself has not change drastically since the 1860's. Indeed, if John C. Hart were to return to life, he would not feel disoriented strolling down Main Street. Also, there are still many living in the hamlet with such original settlers names as Strang, Curry, Tompkins - a far higher proportion than in other sections of the township.