Town of Lewisboro, New York
The hamlet of Waccabuc is found in the town of Lewisboro which is located in Westchester County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 12,324. The town is named after John Lewis.
The Town of Lewisboro is in the northeastern part of the county.
After purchasing land from the local natives, the first settlers established themselves around South Salem. The town was formed in 1747 as the "Town of Salem." By 1790 the town assumed it current dimensions as lands were removed for other towns. The name also changed to South Salem in 1806. John Lewis, a financier, requested that the town be given his name and established a fund for the town.
The east town line is the border of Connecticut. Interstate 684 passes up the west side of the town.
Communities and locations in Lewisboro
- Boutonville -- A hamlet.
- Cross River -- A hamlet.
- Goldens Bridge -- A hamlet in the western part of the town.
- Lake Katonah -- A hamlet.
- Lewisboro -- The hamlet of Lewisboro on Route 123.
- South Salem -- A hamlet.
- Twin Lakes Village -- A hamlet at the north town line.
- Vista -- A hamlet.
- Waccabuc -- A hamlet.