Yorktown, New York
The Town of Yorktown is a beautiful community in Northern Westchester County, New York, 35 miles from New York City, with forty square miles of rolling hills, farmland, residential areas and light industry.
Yorktown includes extensive recreational facilities with over 1400 acres of town and state parks; five miles of the 22-mile North County Trailway bike and pedestrian path; one of the county's largest nature preserves at Teatown Lake Reservation; and two 18-hole public golf courses.
Four highly rated school districts serve the town and a cultural and community center offers a 600-seat theatre, senior citizen gathering places, a gymnasium and a historical museum. The J.C. Hart Library in Shrub Oak is one of the Town's special treasures.
A countryside community with the Taconic Parkway as the major commuting artery, Yorktown features the scenic Croton Reservoir and gatehouse as well as many other points of interest. It has several historic hamlets for its neighborhoods and five business districts.
The Town of Yorktown has a rich historical heritage beginning with the earliest known inhabitants -- Mohegan, Osceola, Amwalk, Kitchawan and Mohansic -- all familiar names of local places. The Mohegans of the Algonquin Nation had habitations within the boundary of Yorktown.
In 1683, Stephanus Van Cortlandt, with a license issued by the Royal Governor of New York, made his first purchase of land from the Indians. By 1697, when he confirmed his patent with the authorities, he had acquired roughly 80,000 acres. A patent for the Manor of Cortlandt was granted by the British King, William the Third, June 17, 1697. The Manor house was located north of the confluence of the Hudson and Croton Rivers.
After the Revolutionary War and at the time of its incoporation in 1788, the township was officially designated as Yorktown in commemoration of the American's decisive victory at Yorktown, Virginia in October 19, 1781.