Elmsford in Greenburgh, New York
Elmsford was known as Storm's Bridge in the early 1700's and as Hall's Corners during the middle of the nineteenth century. One-mile square, it is midway between White Plains and Tarrytown. Its present name - adopted in 1870 - was inspired by a mammoth elm tree, nearly thirty feet in circumference, which had been a landmark since revolutionary days.
In Elmsford's central square was a tavern, built in the early 1700's by Abraham Storm, and known later as O'Brien's Chateau. During the Revolutionary War, French and Colonial officers often gathered in this tavern. The barmaid, Betsy, frequently garnished their drinks with the tail feathers of chickens appropriated by the Colonials from Torie's hen-coops in the neighborhood. Thus Elmsford became the birthplace of that celebrated libation, "the cocktail." The tavern was also the scene of the escape of Harvey Birch, famous American spy, as related by James Fenimore Cooper in "The Spy." In his writings Cooper also mentioned another historical place in Elmsford, "Katy's Cave," where American soldiers were hidden during the Revolution.