Lake Mohegan, New York
Lake Mohegan received its name in 1859, given by William Jones, a Welshman who owned the Mount Pleasant Hotel on the East side of the lake, and some 300 acres in the vicinity.
The Mohegan Colony was established at the South end of the lake in 1930 as a utopian attempt to provide an egalitarian way of living and raising one�s family. Part of the Modern School movement, Mohegan Colony was a hotbed of new thinking. The Colony established its own school, and had some 300 families. The homeowner association survives, and strives to retain some of the history. However, in the 1950s, deeded restrictive covenants (which required people in that area to join the homeowner association) expired after a court decision.
What all of them had in common was the enjoyment of the lake, the centerpiece of their community. Most had "swimming cribs" which provided a safe area within which to swim, safe from the denizens of the lake depths, and allowing others to boat freely on the lake. Children played games of finding colored stones on the bottom of the lake-as the water was clear to depths of 10 feet or more. And, up to 1991, power boats zoomed back and forth on the one mile long lake.