Pelham Manor, New York
The Village of Pelham Manor is located on the Sound Shore of Southeastern Westchester County, New York. It is a small, suburban village of about 5,500 people on about 1.2 square miles. Its size gives the atmosphere of intimacy and advantages of a small village, such as neighborhood schools, while the location gives Pelham Manor residents easy access to New York City and major transportation links. The Grand Central Station is only 29 minutes via Metro North's New Haven line; Interstate 95 and the Hutchinson River Parkway serve the village, and the LaGuardia and Westchester County airports are only 13 and 15 miles away, respectively.
On November 11, 1654, Thomas Pell negotiated a treaty with Wampage, Chief of all the Siwanoy Indians and acquired title to about 50,000 acres including all of today's Bronx and everything east of the Hutchinson River north to Mamaroneck. Pell took possession of his property and called it "Pelham" in honor his tutor Pelham Burton.
Thomas Pell was challenged almost immediately by the Dutch who sent the Marshall of the Dutch Court in March 1655 with a court order stating that the English were trespassing on Dutch territory. Pell refused to accept the Dutch order and for the next several years they tried unsuccessfully to dislodge him. Finally, on September 21, 1664 English warships, supported by a militia unit called the Westchester Trained Band and led by Thomas Pell, sailed into the harbor of New Amsterdam and accepted the surrender of Governor Stuyvesant.
In response to the demands of Pelham Manor residents for improved fire and police protection, as well as water, gas and electricity, Pelham Manor was incorporated as a village. The election for incorporation was held at the Pelham Manor School House on Monday, June 8, 1891. The official incorporation date for the Village is July 6, 1891.