Village of Rye Brook, New York
The story of the Village of Rye Brook is the most recent chapter in the continuing development of the Town of Rye. It is the shared heritage of four communities.
Town history began in 1640 when land was purchased from Native American inhabitants. The first colonists to move into the area were settlers from Greenwich, Connecticut. In 1660 they negotiated a treaty with Shenarockwell, a Mohican chief, for all the land along Long Island Sound between the Mamaroneck and Byram Rivers. It is supposed that the town was named after Rye, in Sussex, England, the former home of some of the settlers.
Communities within the Town eventually stablished themselves as four separate municipalities. Port Chester was the first of the areas to incorporate as a village. Its charter is dated 1868. In 1895, Mamaroneck officially became a village with its western section in the Town of Mamaroneck and its eastern section, east of the Mamaroneck River known as �Rye Neck� in the Town of Rye. In 1904 Rye Village was incorporated but, in 1942, it seceded to become a city and is no longer part of the Town. Rye Brook remained the last unincorporated area in the Town until it became a Village on July 7, 1982.